View Single Post
Old 11-17-2010, 07:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alastair View Post
Prolly be the OM.606 from the 96-99 W210 series cars--Any later and they all go Common-Rail!--ie, mega complicated and computerised....

OM.606.962 DOHC Turbodiesel, quad-valve, about 177 BHP in std. form

--Electronic pump and all that crap can be junked and a Mechanical pump from earlier OM.603 turbodiesel engine fitted in its place. Turbo really needs upgrading as the original is Hugely Restrictive, and has a vac operated W.G which can be a pain to control HX35 is a good one apparently....

These engines have proved Very Tunable, with up to 600 BHP possible Without even opening up the engine and altering any internals!

Have to replace the transmission (722.3 or 717.43x from W124/W201 Or you could put a 716.640, 6 speed Manual trans from a 220-270CDi in there with a custom flywheel) and adapt/make gearbox mounts/shift-linkage to suit.

Prop-shaft will need shortening/lengthning to suit new engine/trans combo. If tuning for much more than say, 200-250 BHP the final-drive will need upgrading, maybe a different ratio depending on what trans you want, prolly ex W126....

Engine-Mount arms from 300SD (W126) with spacers are a tried and tested method...

I have one to fit my W123 but time and money are my current issues!

Great info here! After talking with a lot of people over in europe the diesel performance idea gets better and better everytime.

How hard are the electronics and overall engine to learn about? I am a newbie to mercedes diesel, most of my knowledge comes from performance CIS injected gas w124's and w126's.

Any info or guidance would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks!