View Single Post
Old 08-27-2002, 12:39 PM
R Easley

NIC has provided an excellent post about the improvements that can be gained by taking care of the Mercedes-Benz suspension.

I'd like to add a couple of points to his great post.

1) Many do not realize (even and especially independent alignment shops) the existence of subframe mounts on MBs. More importantly, they do not realize that these parts affect the alignment of the car.

2) I have written up the procedure for replacement of the subframe mounts that anyone at the medium DIYer level and above can do. It is located at: http://business.baylor.edu/Richard_Easley/autofaqs/main.htm

3) Note, for those that have post-85 126s (S-class): the subframe mounts are different than pre-86 mounts and it would be easy for a parts person to confuse the two in their haste to pull the parts. For the later cars, there is a L/R orientation.

4) Nic mentions that the lower ball joints must be pressed in by a shop that has the special press. I agree that the use of the press is the best and easiest way to do this procedure (I have the press, BTW), but an enterprising medium-level or above DIYer can definitely install the lower ball joints properly with the generic "C" clamp ball joint presses that parts stores like Autozone rent for free. I've used the generic presses and they work fine -- not as easy as the factory press, but much cheaper (free versus ~$400). However, with the generic press, you do have to add additional parts and do additional procedures with it to make it work -- things that, again, something that an enterprising DIYer can do. Note that there is not a safe-while-repairing issue with this, unlike the below:

5) The most important recommendation in this message:

Please do not even attempt suspension work on your MB that requires spring removal without the use of the special spring compressor for MBs (see this link for great pictures of the tool: http://www.samstagsales.com/klann.htm but note that Mercedes Shop can probably order the tool for you).

Please note that I have extensive experience and have done extensive research on the use of spring compressors for MB automobiles.

This is the only tool that I recommend. There are copies of this tool in the marketplace, but in my extensively-researched opinion, they are not up to the task.

I have no financial interest in the sale of this tool by anyone, but I do have tremendous interest in the safety of fellow DIYers and I know that DIYers will sometimes tackle a job that is beyond their capabilities.

Most of the time, the potential downside of this eagerness means that the DIYer will be spending more money having someone do the job right, etc., etc.

Spring compression is much, much different: Improper spring compression can have eternal consequences.

I shudder to think that anyone has attempted spring removal on a MB with the ~$30 generic tools. The MB spring has tremendous stored energy; just look at the front end of a 123 or a 126 and look at the curve of the spring -- it'll tell you all that you need to know.

Again, improper spring compression can have eternal consequences. Please do not risk hurting your spouse and family. Use the proper tool.

Richard Easley
Waco, Texas