View Single Post
Old 08-27-2002, 12:42 PM

Regarding the roll bar, since it works manually it may be worthwhile to check the automatic operation. The control arms for the left and right rear suspension have limit switches which are clearly visible from the rear of the car. There is a two position switch on each of these switches. To do the test, put the selector of one of the two switches in the "Arretiert" position. Now drive the car to a speed of greater than 6 mph and hit the brakes -- the rollbar should deploy. When finished, return the selector from "Arretiert" to "Function".

As for the convertible top, the existence of some specific codes in the controller memory will prevent the system from operating. But 23 is not one of these. Something else besides the roll bar controller is wrong.

I suggest checking all of the limit switch inputs to the soft top controller. There are two ways to do this.

The "official" and surely the easiest way involves accessing a connector located behind the passenger-side foot rest and installing a jumper between sockets "1" and "3". This places the soft top controller in a special diagnostic mode for evaluating inputs.

The other way involves accessing the "X" connector to the soft top controller and checking the inputs electrically with a continuity tester or battery and LED. This is the method I used before I was aware that any diagnostics at all were available for the system. I mention it only because I have not used the official method, nor have I ever attempted to locate the connector in the foot rest.

If you decide to continue troubleshooting your convertible top and want to check the inputs, decide on a method and I will provide further instruction if you wish.