View Single Post
Old 11-22-2010, 08:10 PM

Progress report: One axle is off, after much meticulous cleaning out of the XZN heads. I used the air wrench to get all off ... much easier than trying to keep the axle from turning while using a conventional wrench. I also used the air wrench for the axle nuts, which really, really didn't want to come off. One came off pretty easily, but the first one I had to torch quite a bit. Though the one that had the nut come off easier doesn't want to back out of the wheel carrier. And I didn't want to hit it to hard. I didn't have time to do anything today but tomorrow I'll try torching it a little. I think the other one tapped out easily because it was heated quite a bit when I heated the nut, maybe? We'll see. I'm going to replace all the boots. The inner ones have small cracks too; it would just be stupid not to replace them while I'm taking them apart, the cracks aren't going to heal.
I also finished up the rust work and will post some pics when I get around to it.
Oh, and I'm glad I bought new wheel carrier bearings, because I discovered the old ones are basically not there. They totally fell apart and it's just the spring link hanging on the bolt. I hope the metal part isn't a pain to get out. I was going to try to use a bolt and socket set-up to put the new ones in ... hopefully won't need the special tool for that.
One question: The bolts on the diff mounts are 12mm, correct? Because the 10mm is very loose in there, but the 12mm really will not go in at all. They're quite rusted (surprise surprise) so maybe I just need to clean them up more. But didn't want to mes them up if I'm wrong.
2018 Chevy Cruze diesel, 6-speed manual, satin steel metallic/kalahari--19,000 miles
1982 Peugeot 505 diesel, 4-speed manual, blue/blue, 130,000 miles
1995 S320, black/parchment--34,000 miles (Dad's car)