View Single Post
Old 11-28-2010, 03:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Billybob View Post
It will never be easier than with the wheel carriers off the car without the necessary tool (SIR Tools B90-M $300), so it's an investment against future more costly repairs!

It is a little more complicated than just pressing things together! You need some cylindrical spacers to accomplish the job without destroying the new bearing in the process! Basically once the hub is separated from the wheel carrier and the old bearing remnants removed from both parts, the bearing is pressed using its outer shell into the wheel carrier, then the bearings inner diameter bore has to be supported as the hub is pressed into it. If the support is not correct the bearing is pushed apart.

If your indy can do it for a reasonable price that would be the way to go, otherwise you're going to have to find or fab something to fit the bearing if you don't have something like that already.

To make use of your press though you can once you get the disks off and the wheel carriers off use it to press the hubs out of the wheel carriers, then the bearings remnants out of the wheel carrier (there is a large C-Clip that needs to be removed before the outer shell gets pressed out). After the hub is free you will need a grinder to cut the part of the bearing that usually stays stuck to the hub when the bearing comes apart. Use the grinder to cut almost through and then a hammer and chisel to crack it off.
Oh OK, that makes sense. I'll see if my indy can fit me in next week. Assuming I can get the wheel carriers off by then! He has been really good about labor prices in the past so hopefully it won't be too bad.
Thanks guys. Hopefully tomorrow I'll have a more upbeat progress report. At least now I think I have a better grasp of the axle job.
Or maybe I'll take a break to tidy up a little ... I basically just have tools, cans, bolts everywhere.
2018 Chevy Cruze diesel, 6-speed manual, satin steel metallic/kalahari--19,000 miles
1982 Peugeot 505 diesel, 4-speed manual, blue/blue, 130,000 miles
1995 S320, black/parchment--34,000 miles (Dad's car)