View Single Post
Old 11-29-2010, 12:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Billybob View Post
Not sure where the 574 or thread locker would be used on the outer CV joint? I wouldn't use red thread locker until I was sure as it's pretty close to permanent. Where exactly do you think you need to use this substance? 574 is orange color so that may be why the AZ guys thought it was similar, but I'm pretty sure its thicker sort of like watery silicon sealant usually used to seal between mating surfaces as a kind of gasket material, I thought.
It's supposed to go on the inside of the annular joint, between it and the backing plate ("cup seal cap") that the boot attaches to. I guess it's just an extra measure to hold it together, because that plate fits on pretty snug and is held on via the bolts. Nonetheless, the FSM says it so I'd just assume follow it. I'll definitely track down the 574. I'm hoping NAPA has it ... they weren't open today but will give them a call tomorrow.
I got the axles mostly apart. One of the CV joints slide off easily, I just used my fingers to pull it off. The other is stuck on pretty good; I tried gently tapping it off but didn't want to go to town on it. The FSM says to use split bearing shells and a special press that I can't quite figure out in the drawings. I'll think it over and see what I can do tomorrow.
Also, the FSM just says to remove the boot from the outer joint, but after doing that, there's no way to get to the joint to clean it. The FSM doesn't really say anything about cleaning that joint, either ... just to wipe up any grease that comes out and pack it into the joint, then put a new boot on it. What I'm wondering is, does the "cup seal cap" (i.e., the metal cover that the boot attaches to) come off the outer joint, too? Otherwise I can't really clean it. But I didn't want to knock apart the can irreparably if it's supposed to stay as one. My scanner doesn't work so I can't post the diagram in the FSM but I'll post some pictures after I clean up, eat and upload them.
2018 Chevy Cruze diesel, 6-speed manual, satin steel metallic/kalahari--19,000 miles
1982 Peugeot 505 diesel, 4-speed manual, blue/blue, 130,000 miles
1995 S320, black/parchment--34,000 miles (Dad's car)