View Single Post
Old 11-29-2010, 07:06 PM

I agree that taking the lever off the transmission end is a good idea. One allen screw is all it takes. Getting it back on requires a bit of patience.

Using c-clamps and soaking the bushings are a complete waste of time in my opinion. By far the easiest way to get these in place is to cut all the way through them, creating two ends, and feed them into the hole starting with one of the ends. These are made of really stiff "rubber", I believe the material used is an upgrade to the previous material, and much harder to install. I could have forced it in place with a c-clamp, but I decided that would stress the material more than just cutting it. My indie mechanic told me "don't try to get those in there without cutting them" and he was right. It was hard enough doing it cut.

I know what you are all going to say "waaah waaah waaaah, cutting the bushing ruins it, it won't last, it will pop off, waaahh waahh waaaah." Nonsense. That material is super tough, and once you re-assemble the linkage, there is no way for the grommet to escape.

Save yourself the grief and just cut the little buggers.

1990 300SE "Corinne"- 145k daily driver - street modified differential - PARTING OUT OR SELLING SOON - PORTLAND OR. AREA - PM ME FOR DETAILS
1988 560SEL "Gunther"- 190K passes anything except a gas station
1997 S420 - 265k just bought it with a rebuilt trans. Lovely condition