View Single Post
Old 12-01-2010, 10:51 AM
benzbonz

Put the distributor in last night, removed plugs and they were very sooty. Looked brand new too,,, hmmm,,, I was able to clean the soot off with compressed air. Put the plugs in the boots, put them wher I could see them as I cranked and I had sparks!

Now to locate my feeler gauge and gap them.

After spraying lubricant (oil) into the cylinders, and on the cams, I cranked the engine until oil pressure came up. She spun pretty fast with no plugs in and it wasn't long before oil pressure registered.

When I was trying to figure out where the green wire from the distributor goes (trigger) I removed the coil and ensured a good ground was had. Personally I don't think anything was wrong with the car, other than a bad ground, and maybe a mal-adjusted air idle valve, and probably some vacuum leaks.

To my surprise, it looks like the top end of the engine has been rebuilt. the Valve cover looked as if it where brand spanking new. With this in mind, might even be unadjusted valves.
Attached Thumbnails
1973 450SE missing distributor-plugs.jpg   1973 450SE missing distributor-valvecover.jpg