View Single Post
Old 12-01-2010, 02:33 PM

w124 turn-key NOTHING (suspect: faulty security system)

Vehicle: 1995 E320 Sedan (California)
Symptoms: Turn key> Nothing>

The red light that indicates that the security system is Active, blinks dim after I lock the doors (so dimly that it cannot be seen in the days light). It stops blinking when I unlock the doors, but starts blinking at full brightness when I turn the key to Accessory+. Turning the key to Start yields no indication that the starter is receiving its 12v signal, the the Security system LED continues to blink with the key turned all the way, until the key is returned to the Off position. The security system is definitely not functioning as it should. I preformed the test (by unlocking both doors on separate occasions - manually with the windows down after locking the car from all key holes) No horn, no flashing headlights, no change. I also tried unlocking the vehicle from all key holes, and still nothing.

It is worth noting that I most recently replaced the Neutral Safety Switch. The vehicle started for me initially after replacing the NSS, then again when I showed my wife that her car finally operated as it should. But it would not crank that evening, not even with some liberal shifter persuasion.

My next move is to disable the security system's immobilization relay behind the cluster. Maybe tap on the starter when my wife gets home, just for peace of mind. Sound about right?

Seemingly Unrelated:
-Replaced the the OVP relay a few weeks ago.
-The central locking pneumatics have not been working for a few weeks.
-The radio antenna has not been working, and resulting in a non working radio for a week.