View Single Post
Old 12-04-2010, 12:30 AM

Got the axles all done. A few hours after I finished the first one, and very carefully sealed it all up, I realized I'd left the circlip off ... ouch. But took that one all apart, put it together, and then did the second one ... remembering the circlip. What a slimy mess I made. I actually went through a whole roll of shop towels, as well as about five pairs of latex gloves. And I don't think I've ever gotten a pair of pants so dirty. But hopefully I did everything right, but guess I won't find out until everything's done and I take it on the highway.
Next up I need to figure out the parking brake, which I think I know how to do, but those springs are tough little boogers. I got all the linkage detached, but need to remove the shield to get the arms off. Then they go for new bearings. Then I can start putting things back together!

I'll post axle pictures later, though I didn't take many (see slimy mess comment). They looked pretty good, the only thing that concerned me were some small marks inside the outer cage. They weren't pits or scoring so much as smooth spots ... the FSM says the former is grounds for replacement, while the latter is OK. No marks anywhere else I could see. Hope I put them together right!
2018 Chevy Cruze diesel, 6-speed manual, satin steel metallic/kalahari--19,000 miles
1982 Peugeot 505 diesel, 4-speed manual, blue/blue, 130,000 miles
1995 S320, black/parchment--34,000 miles (Dad's car)