View Single Post
Old 08-29-2002, 07:12 PM
Unbanned...?

mushedroom is right. On pretty much all Mercedes diesels, the K&N will make almost no differnece in power. Doc Booth proposed a good test. Remove your stock (clean) paper filter and do some 0-60 tests. Now put it back and do the same. If you see a measurable difference, fine, get a K&N. But so far nobody has done this and found any power with no filter (or a K&N). If you do please post the numbers & details, we all want to see it! Diesels operate without a throttled air intake, which may be part of the reason why there is no power gain. Some people claim that K&N lets in an unacceptable amount of particles, despite K&N's claims otherwise...

On a gas engine, the K&N can make a little more power, but not a lot... probably 2-5hp tops. This depends more on how poorly the stock intake tract is designed. Cars that get a 5-15hp gain usually have part of the intake removed and put a "cone" type K&N on, where a "cone" paper filter would probably make the same power (i.e., gain is not from filter element material, but the modified intake itself.)

Don't know anything about Remus, but all the performance upgrades I've investigated for MB's have a very very poor cost to HP ratio (stuff like mufflers, camshafts, etc.) Chips can make a big difference IF you are lucky enough to have a car that can be chipped - not all of them can!

Regards,

Check out my website photos, documents, and movies!