View Single Post
Old 12-28-2010, 01:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dieseldan44 View Post
RE: Bolt #1/#2: I'll re-label to make it clearer.

RE:3/8" allen socket

I tried to use a 3/8" 10mm allen socket and it would not make it onto either bolt. The combination of socket+wrench was too long for the lower bolt and interfered with the transmission dipstick tube. For upper bolt, the cut off piece of allen key is easier because you can more easily ensure you have fully seated it. The piece of allen key+the 6pt 10mm socket was way stronger than the 3/8" allen socket (craftsman) I had as well.

I didn't see any sort of way to use a breaker bar on the lower bolt. I tried to get something to work in there for hours. The jack method seemed like the best solution after all my trials and tribulations. As long as you line it up and make sure everything is fully seated, it should not be a problem.

Other forum members (I believe it was charmalu) suggested the cut-off 10mm allen bit method. It is a fast, cheap tool to make and it works quite well.
You're probably right. I'm just going by memory of what I used on the lower bolt.
Whose starter did you end up buying? Do you have an inductive ammeter and a photo tach by chance? It would be good to know the cranking RPM and amperage of a fresh Bosch reman starter.