View Single Post
Old 09-04-2002, 01:00 AM
Gympie

Peter is correct on what to hunt for in vacuum leaks on the 4A1. I might add that these are the major places to look for leaks there also may be minor places as well. The door locks are also vacuum acutated. There is a check valve in line which should prevent back flow leak from the system, but at times the check valve is broken and does not prevent the "back flow". The cruise control also has a vacuum line to it whcih may leak. The transmission modulator has a metal pipe off of the intake to the modulator. At times the bolt to the modulator gets loose and creates a good amount of leakage. Long list, but also check the climate control servo. Numerous vacuum lines are connected to the head of the servo. Insure the rubber lines are set into the head. Lastly, check all the rubber connections in the engine compartment which go to hard plastic lines. They get old and need replacing.

To sum it up, this is not an easy task. Once your elminate the major components which Peter described, I would go for the minor ones I suggest. What kind of vacuum are you getting now from the intake?