View Single Post
Old 12-31-2010, 09:09 PM
10mm MW

Quote:
Originally Posted by 47dodge View Post
I did find in a response to a post about adding a turbo to 240, that you listed what your then current adjustments were. You have rack limiter removed, and torque capsule adjusted. Have you since put the rack limiter back in?
I would like to, but it is such a pain in the but to do. I'll put it back in when I change the elements. I pulled it very early on, (before I really got into understanding each adjustments capability). That is why I can say it requires a vigilant eye on the EGT gauge, especially if you start making other adjustments. There is no way I would let anyone else drive my 240d with the limiter removed, it would be burned up for sure.

Honestly, if you think it runs better now, you are in for a real surprise if you decide to tweak the Torque Control and Max Speed settings. It will become a totally different car, but the EGTs must be monitored.

I give some insight into the typical settings that I change for a 616 in the e-mail. I am at a friends right now, so I will send you the info when I get home.

Quote:
It seems to me the progression of tuning is leading to larger elements to allow more fuel sooner, as you have mentioned already. But then the adjustments of before will of course be incorrect. So rack limiters go back in, and somewhat milder adjustments otherwise, all because of the gain from larger elements.
Unfortunately the OEM elements are some of the smallest ones, and that is a big limiting factor. Larger elements would require a new tune up which would be ruffed in on a traditional bench and then fine tuned on the car.

Are you considering going to larger elements?

Quote:
Philosophical discussion, About ten years ago I decided time to do something else, so I started a boat shop, building wooden boats. yea I know strange jump from diesel mechanic. But sometimes you just have to follow your heart. I have found myself giving a lot of advice on boat building to many people as I have become better at it. Should I keep my mouth shut, so they will have to bring their boat project to me? perhaps, but perhaps not. So far I have found that I have kept at least a two year waiting list. It would not be possible for me to build/fix every boat. By giving freely (advice that is)the owners are able to fix or build what they may not otherwise have. However they will often come to me for specialized parts. So my advice it not always at a total loss economically. I have also found that it builds trust, and general good will. Each business owner needs to decide what their limit is as far as giving info.

One last thought, this being a public forum we are all here to see what the other has done to get the most from their car, as well as we are eager to find out newest idea/gadget, etc is, so we can do the same, and/or offer what we have done.
Good rebuttal. I am in agreement with you in regards to your situation, (plenty of work in reserve), however in my case, I am looking for work, and there are competitors, (for lack of a better term), that are a ahead of me but are having some issues. Is it in my best interest to post technical information that could solve their problem and be the go to guy? May be, may be not.

Don't get me wrong, if they want to hire me as a consultant, I would be happy to point them in right direction. I have talked with a Bosch shop locally quite a bit and they say my approach is very different to Bosch's, (there is only one way to do things, Bosch's way). As a result, custom tuning the Governor beyond a factory tune up can be challenging for them.

I also agree with you about the good will and such. I can't seem to be able to verbalize my hesitations.

Anyway, I am curious as to your thoughts on what I send you, if it is what you are looking for.