View Single Post
Old 01-05-2011, 07:47 PM

strelnik,

I have produced ~1000gals of biodiesel. I fabricated a 55 gallon Graham Laming type distillation processor in the summer of 2008 (timely). It made a lot of ASTM spec biodiesel from WVO.

I no longer use it: I run a two tank WVO system instead. The two tank rig is so so so much better in so many ways.

Producing biodiesel from WVO as a 'way of life' is really time consuming, expensive and above all, dangerous.

Making biodiesel is tantalizingly easy. You can do it in a mason jar in 20 minutes. Making *quality*, oxidatively stable, ASTM spec fuel at home in 50 gallon batches is really, really difficult.

I could write a paper on why it's a bad idea based on my own experiences and those of many others.

I dont think as many people are doing it as you think - and those who say they are successful may be not doing as good of a job as they think or may be ignoring safety precautions.

Sorry to be a debbie downer about it, but as I said, Ive been there, done that, and have the methanol vapor detector :-)

dd
'83 300TD Cali Wagon 210k, wife's car