View Single Post
Old 09-05-2002, 12:43 PM
NIC

building a small diesel generator

I'm stuck on diesel engines for some reason and have recently completed a project involving the creation of a small (4 - 5 kw) diesel generator. You can buy diesel generators outright already put together but they are pricey so I opted for do-it-yourself approach.

In case you are considering a generator, and have a desire to build one yourself (with or without diesel motor), I might be able to help you think it through. My experience was very much OJT but I think I have a little practical insight now.

I used a Lister-Petter 1 cylinder diesel with a bit over 7 hp. Bought a generator head from Voltmaster on the web. But it together on a platform using wheel kit purchased from Northern Tool.

I don't really recommend this approach as its time consuming and ends up costing good deal more than off-the-shelf gas model of same power - but it was a lot of fun and I do have a neat machine now to add to my collection.

Can't share this with my wife who is convinced I have lost it, especially since she already knows how much time and money I have invested in my '85 300CD.

Nic
Columbia, SC