View Single Post
Old 01-15-2011, 04:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pawoSD View Post
So true. If I had no choice but to get one, it'd surely not be a chrysler.
If by eat your soul you mean they give you an awesome comfy ride across country with cupholders, power outlets every where and plenty of room for fun and games and sleeping then yeah, you are exactly right

And Chryslers are the kings of minivans. The new ones i think are easier to work on too as they have more of a truck like front.

Minivans seem like they are engineered from the inside out. Way more focus on interior functionality than anything else. And more so than a cross over or an SUV. At least the older SUVs.

They are a nice upgrade from a station wagon , way more useful, but about same mpg. And chryslers are the pioneers of minivans. They can last a long time. I would totally have one if they sold the diesel option here (at least in a few years when they get cheap) . They make the VW and the Chrysler in same plant on same assembly line in Windsor Ontario.

(Boring Story warning) I worked for a supplier that makes the instrument panels for those vans. I wrote a custom piece of software that controls the robot that loads the instrument panels on the truck in the right order. So my program loaded your instrument panel onto the truck to send to chryser. It was a cool job.. They still use it. Our company (my old company) has software that runs lots of suppliers assembly lines on that vehicle and many vehicles including MB in alabama . But for that Chrysler minivan our customers made Wheels, instrument panels, doors , suspension. At each supplier they have an assembly line that makes parts to spec for each VIN, right color, radio option , suspension , switches, leather, etc down to every last switch and screw. They get built to spec and delivered in order to the chrysler plant in time to go on the car as its coming down the assembly line. Fun stuff.

They used to make the minivans in St. Louis too but they closed that when Chrysler went into financial trouble. I asked about getting a diesel export but I didn't want to spend 25,000 on a vehicle and it would have been hard to do.