View Single Post
Old 01-22-2011, 09:45 AM

There's no substitute for good quality snow tires on all four wheels. I can't speak to other Benz models, but when the 190 is equipped with 4 snows, it is a fantastic winter car.

I've had Dunlop Graspic studless snows on all 4 corners on my 201 for years. They are what was on it when I bought it. I've had to replace single tires because of sidewall punctures and wear... but I've never needed to replace all 4, so I've stuck with them so I have a matched set (all 4). They perform admirably.

On my Volvo 940 Turbo, I've run Hankook Zovac studded snows (also all 4 wheels). The Hankook tires are far superior in traction on both ice and snow to the Dunlops.

After this year, I'll need to replace the entire set on the Benz. When I do, I'll be replacing them with Hankook. They are the best winter tire value I've found anywhere.

Hankook is a Korean company, and are not very well known in the US. But they are quite popular in Europe. If you watch European motorsports -- like Moto GP Motorcycle, or Formula 1 -- you'll see Hankook banners everywhere. They're a huge sponsor.

Current Vehicles:
'92 Mercedes 190E/2.3 (247K miles/my daily driver)
'93 Volvo 940 Turbo Wagon (263K miles/a family truckster with spunk)
'99 Kawasaki Concours
Gravely 8120
Previous Vehicles:
'85 Jeep CJ-7 w/ Fisher plow (226K miles)'93 Volvo 940 Turbo Wagon
'53 Willys-Overland Pickup
'85 Honda 750F Interceptor
'93 Nissan Quest
'89 Toyota Camry Wagon
'89 Dodge Raider
'81 Honda CB 750F Super Sport
'88 Toyota Celica
'95 Toyota Tacoma