View Single Post
Old 01-22-2011, 12:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jcyuhn View Post
Doesn't sound right. I have the same basic car - 1993 USA model 300E 2.8 (e.g. E280). The USA models are limited to 130MPH maximum speed because they were delivered with "H" speed rated tires. Mine pulls right to redline before upshifting - 6400RPM.

150KPH is only ~95MPH - that's awfully slow. IIRC redline in 3rd gear is marked on the speedometer at 120MPH - are you sure it's shifted into 4th gear when you reach terminal speed?

I'm thinking ILUVMILS is on the right track here - perhaps you are down on power and it simply can't pull past 4K RPM at speed. Do you have a code reader to pull the fault codes from the OBD diagnostic system? There are many articles here on how to build, read, and interpret the codes.
I am 100% sure that it was at 4th gear when struggling with 4000rpm threshold. I goes past 4000rpm to around 5000rpm when upshifting from 1st to 2nd gear. I can't find one that has adapter to read 16-pin OBD I, so don't know where the fault is.

The car has a history anyway, it was first imported to Vietnam for embassy's use, then sold out for private use. It might be the reason for that awfully low power limit.

A guy told me that the limit can be removed by loading ECU's chip with firmware from unrestricted car.