View Single Post
Old 01-23-2011, 02:07 PM
Rebe

I got the transmission issue fixed about the 5th of this month. The problem was the governor, that fails on the 722.3 transmissions in the 190's. The valve spring ends up tearing up the gear. Shops many times fix the transmission on these, and get them shifting again, but they don't fix the cause. The cure on the governor is to put the safety plate in there. It solves the issue on them. It now shifts out of the warm up without the teeth and neck jarring shift that stressed the flex joints to the max. I noticed it, also, shifts much more ergonomic on the rest of the driving shifts, as well. Mercedes doesn't include it in the transmission rebuild kits. It is less than a fifty dollar cost for the parts & it is peace of mind knowing that you won't be driving a single speed transmission waiting for an up shift, that is never going to happen. It's not a matter of if these transmissions are going to fail, it is just a matter of when they are going to fail. Mercedes fixed the issue in 93, and they are not affected by the problem. This is the second time mine failed-once at 75K & again at 83K.