View Single Post
Old 01-25-2011, 04:40 PM

Well, I just test drove my car after having the entire transmission rebuilt, and the problem I brought it in for is still there; namely, when I put the shifter into reverse when the car is hot, I can feel and hear the transmission whirring for a few seconds afterward. However, when the car is cold, there is no whirring, and the transmission goes into reverse as quickly and firmly as it goes into drive whether the car is hot or cold.

Now, the people that rebuilt the transmission are telling me that the whirring in reverse is normal, even though they told me that the car was indeed slipping in reverse when they test drove it. Am I wrong in believing that the whirring is not normal, and should be characterized as "slipping in reverse?"

In any event, I've owned this car for over ten years now, and I believe that the whirring, which only began a few months ago, was getting progressively worse -- which is why I brought the car in the first place.

Moreover, a number of threads in this forum revealed, or at least strongly suggested, that the problem was caused by worn B3 clutches. Yet, the rebuilder told me that he replaced those clutches, and that the old plates still had about 40% left on them -- in which case the problem, if it really exists, could be caused by a worn bearing in the planetary gear(?), which he didn't replace.

So, I'm left with trying to decide whether the whirring I brought it in for was in fact normal and was always there, but that I never noticed it; or whether some part of the transmission was indeed going.

In addition, I'm left with the problem of trying to decide what to do if the rebuilder -- who, at least, agreed to keep the car and look further into my complaint -- insists that the whirring is normal.

Thanks very much in advance for any additional advice anybody can give me on the best way to solve this problem.