View Single Post
Old 09-10-2002, 12:17 PM
DIYer

Call me cynical, but the problem with this week's (month's?) "remembrances" is that we have never been allowed, even for a few hours, to forget. This event has been the blessing of a career for legions of politicians, newscasters, media companies and merchandisers. Not a day has gone by when it has not saturated the news, both written and electronic.

I often wonder what non-Americans think of the hype. Certainly it was an awful and historical event. But I've have heard it described so many times as the worst disaster in American history. What about the Chicago fire, the San Francisco earthquakes, and several bad hurricanes. I've heard it described as the bloodiest day on American soil in American history. What about several of the awful Civil War battles. And to describe it, as I have heard numerous times in the past year, as the worst disaster in the history of the world would be silly were it no so egocentric. As momentous and awful as it was, one wonders how long the hype would have lasted if it had not been New York City.