View Single Post
Old 09-10-2002, 04:24 PM

Question Spring has sprung, suspension advice please

As I've posted before my car (AMG 300TE 6.0) has been slowly eating its' fenders. Since I've been getting alot more seat time lately I feel the wheels hitting the fenders on almost any uneven surface.

The previous owner contacted his shop and they couldn't precisely recall what sort of springs they mounted 2 years back. One of the mechanics thought he remembered mounting a set of 560 springs and cutting the coil to lower the car . When I made contact they said the old boss is retired and they can't recall, but they wouldn't have "cut" the spring, "maybe" they used AMG springs. The springs were $150 for both front springs based on the records so this seems unlikely to me.

It is certainly springtime by all accounts.

I had originally suspected engine weight as the culprit, but I was told that the M117 engine, being all aluminum, would not have a significant weight penalty over the cast iron 6 cylinder. I assume this is why certain springs seem to be interchangable between 6 and 8 cyl 124 models (?)

I've read most all the threads comparing H&R springs and Sportline, but I would appreciate any additional views regarding the ride, ride height and any other important points to ponder including engine weight if i am mistaken and/or any other spring choices (AMG??). I like the lowered ride height, although a few additional mm's might save my Hoover Airdam from ingesting every driveway in its' path.

I currentlyhave the #1 (lowest) spring pad in the front and I will be running 17x8 inch ET28 AMG Aero wheels 215/45 front, 235/45 rear or possibly 225/45 all around. The fenders will be slightly rolled as they were before the tires took to lunching on them.

I have seen some conclusions about which struts/ shocks work best with which springs- I would prefer to go Bilstein (sport or HD)
The car being a wagon it also has the rear self leveling. It is currently in-op and I am debating either getting the system up and running or attempting the surgery to mount rear shocks in its place. No Home Depot trips in this wagon, but I had seen some discussion of the handling benefits conveyed by the self-leveling that has confused me some more.

Thanks!

My wagon. yeah, right!
Attached Thumbnails
Spring has sprung, suspension advice please-456-estate.jpg  

AMG 300TE 6.0

E320 Cabrio

http://photos.yahoo.com/dshimano