View Single Post
Old 01-31-2011, 02:32 AM

OK

Quote:
Originally Posted by Silver_300D View Post
Thanks whunter.I've now tried about everything. I tried grounding with jumper cables (they are a nice thick gauge too) with no results. So I went about it methodically. I:

- ran a cable directly from the positive battery terminal to the solenoid stud. Then I jumped the stud and screw. Nothing happened so the problem isn't power, must be ground (or starter itself).

- Then I clamped a jumper end to the ground stud on the starter and the other end to the chassis, still nothing.

- Then I added an additional ground strap as you suggested. I ran it from the 13mm bolt used to ground the battery to the air filter T-bracket. Still nothing.

What the hell is going on?! I've tested every logical possibility! I'm about to take out the starter and have it bench tested again. Maybe something has happened to it since it was tested 3 weeks ago. Either that or despite all my grounding attempts I'm STILL not getting enough ground.

:/
The basic circuit is in picture #1.

If it does not function it could be a mechanical issue:

#1. Manually crank the engine roughly 45° listening for a snap/clunk, (Example: Degree wheel), this should release the starter gear from the flywheel if it has jammed = possible bad starter gear.

#2. Apply power to the small screw and use a hammer to whack the side of the solenoid/rear of starter = possible bad starter.
Attached Thumbnails
300D Part I.D. - Problems Starting-starter-cable-connection_xfg65h4d864.jpg