View Single Post
Old 02-01-2011, 07:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by vstech View Post
I'd remove the caliper, and have just the parking brake installed. see if there is any contact. then remove the parking brake shoes see if you can spin easily. you should not feel any resistance except for the gears and inertia from the opposite side wheel turning.
It definitely doesn't make a difference to take off the caliper, so I'm pretty sure it's parking brake. When I installed the rotor with no parking brake or caliper, it was easy to turn, with just the load of turning the driveshaft felt.
I took everything apart and tried tapping the dust shield back with a punch, because I figured if it was not all the way back, the parking brake would sit incorrectly. I carefully reassembled the brake shoes, making sure they were centered on that protrusion under the actuator. I also tightened the screw under the middle of the car just enough to take up slack (maybe too much slack is a bad thing?). Results of all the efforts: the driver's side turned a little better but still difficult. After applying the parking brake a few times it then turned almost freely. The passenger side, which started as the harder of the two to turn, actually now turns nicely. I took it for a test drive, everything felt good and I could hear no scraping. But when I checked it in the garage afterwards, the driver's side is again slightly difficult to turn. The passenger side still turns easily. I have no idea what I did right on the one side that I didn't do on the other. I guess I have to take the left side all apart again tomorrow, which is an awful thought. It's much improved from yesterday but it still has obvious resistance.
It would be nice to someday drive this car again.
2018 Chevy Cruze diesel, 6-speed manual, satin steel metallic/kalahari--19,000 miles
1982 Peugeot 505 diesel, 4-speed manual, blue/blue, 130,000 miles
1995 S320, black/parchment--34,000 miles (Dad's car)