View Single Post
Old 02-07-2011, 12:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rhodes2010 View Post
Although I do not have specific experience with your model vehicle,
I have had to clear out threads and remove broken parts.

Typically I begin by purchasing a strong set of EZ-Outs , broken bolt
removers. These work like you describe, drill a small hole down the center and then use this to back out the remaining broken piece.

But when it comes to material that might enter the combustion chamber
I remove the head and do it on the bench. You are assured a complete and thorough job without problems.

Don't know what your skill level is, but this can be done at home.
But none of the solutions will take less than a few days, working a few hours each day on each step.

If you were to drill out as you describe, you will absolutely need a tap for these threads to clear them.
You could try vacuuming out the chambers but I have fears that this will leave behind some debris.

Metal debris inside cylinders is always bad, I realy would not try it.

Curious how such a thing could have happened. Hopefully some others
here have some insight on your particular model .
This model is notorious for the glow plugs breaking off when trying to change them out. The glow plug itself has a long pencil like heating element that has a tendency to get carbon bound. When I changed out my plugs, I used used plenty of PB Blaster, and another product called Freeze Off, and let them sit for a day. I also read up on the breaking point of the plugs which is in the range of 40-45 N/M, and used a torque wrench to insure I stayed within that range. I would end up getting about a 1/4 turn on the plug in each direction, and it was a matter of going back and forth with the wrench. If the plug bound up, more PB blaster and Freeze Off would help get it moving again. It was one of the most nerve racking jobs I have ever done, as the plugs have a tendency to squeak when moved. Some posters advise warming up the engine prior to making the attempt to remove the plugs.