View Single Post
Old 02-10-2011, 04:12 AM
...like a shield of steel

Reassembly (1)

Once you've taken one apart it is quite easy to see how it all goes back together again. After cleaning and painting parts I greased up the drive assembly... (Please note Bosch recommends oil on all moving parts - it was my personal choice to use grease)

...attached the solenoid actuating arm and placed it into its housing.

I applied grease to the bearing surface here too. I believe these bearings are meant to be soaked in oil prior to insertion to the assembly – I decided to use grease – but you could try oil with the bearings in place. Good luck with that!

(Yet again - Please note Bosch recommends oil on all moving parts - it was my personal choice to use grease)

Next I fitted the bolt that holds the actuating arm in place...

...and put the metal cover and rubber top in place.

Attached Thumbnails
An OM617 starter motor is for LIFE not just for Christmas!-starter-motor-greasing-up-drive-mechanism.jpg   An OM617 starter motor is for LIFE not just for Christmas!-starter-motor-place-drive-assembly-into-housing.jpg   An OM617 starter motor is for LIFE not just for Christmas!-starter-motor-solenoid-actuator-arm-cover.jpg   An OM617 starter motor is for LIFE not just for Christmas!-starter-motor-fitting-actuating-lever.jpg  
1961 Volvo PV544 Bare metal rat rod-ish thing

I'm here to chat about cars and to help others - I'm not here "to always be right" like an internet warrior

Don't leave that there - I'll take it to bits!

Last edited by Stretch; 02-10-2011 at 08:47 AM. Reason: Added in a warning about using grease!