View Single Post
Old 02-10-2011, 04:44 PM

Err, lots of effort.....

But, WHY so many LITTLE Patches and plates!!??

--Its like a Quilt!

Why didnt you cut the whole lot out and use as few in number of plates as possible to repair....

Looks as though you made LOADS of work for yourself with all these 2" plates and patches!

I recently did these rear quarters on my W123....

Cut the whole sill off from wheel-arch to 18" forward, and from half-inch down from the weather-strip under door all the way, deleting that rust-trap the jack point on the way...

The inner sill was also cut away and one continuous piece shaped around the sub-frame mount and put in its place and a new outer sill then made--All in one piece, and welded Continuous Seam Welded top sides and bottom...
The inner wheel-arch was then made and the outer sill cut at 1/2 inch intervals and folded over inner wheel-arch and welded just as M.B. did when they made the car....

Total number of new plates each side, = 3
(Continuous seam welding is a legal requirement here in UK, or you'll not get a valid, yearly MOT on the car!)

One big plate is MUCH stronger than loads of patches, much QUICKER and neater too.....
--Try it for yourself!

Alastair AKA H.C.II South Wales, U.K. based member

W123, 1985 300TD Wagon, 256K,
-Most recent M.B. purchase, Cost-a-plenty, Gulps BioDiesel extravagantly, and I love it like an old dog.

W114, 1975 280E Custard Yellow,
-Great above decks needs chassis welding--Really will do it this year....