View Single Post
Old 02-21-2011, 01:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by funola View Post
Good to hear it worked for you. Is this on the 82, 84 or 85? Did you POR the whole tank or just the surface with the pin hole? Where was the pin hole? Did it start from inside out or outside in? That must have been a lot of work. I would have patched the pin hole with epoxy from the outside and that would have stopped the leak.

I have read of at least one account of POR 15's tank sealer failure for WVO use. I do not remember the details, whether it was an OEM or custom tank, steel or aluminum, how the surface was prepped. The part I do remember is the tank sealer eventually coming off with WVO use.
On the 85. To be clear, I only use the 85's main tank for diesel fuel. Not biodiesel or WVO. WVO all resides in the second tank.

The pinhole I think was inside out since it appeared after the tank was pressure washed. It was near the bottom, about 2" aft of the tank strainer opening.

The POR-15 tank sealer is meant to seal pinhole leaks, one of the reason I chose it for the application. I applied it over the entire inside of the tank, taping off threaded parts and vent holes. Even all the way up the filler neck is coated.

It was a decent amount of work, but I was replacing the floor pans on the car at the time so I was in the garage anyways. And it was May so I could cure the POR-15 outside in the sun.

I have done a lot of POR-15 application now, and the secret, like any paint project, is surface prep. I have not had POR-15 products fail on me once - but I have followed the surface prep guidelines to a T. This includes my entire '85's exhaust up to the resonator - harshest environment I could imagine with all the temp cycles and proximity to grime and salt.
'83 300TD Cali Wagon 210k, wife's car