View Single Post
Old 02-22-2011, 04:24 PM
Unbanned...?

Quote:
Originally Posted by BodhiBenz1987 View Post
Fairly positive update: I got the car back from my mechanic today after he drove it and studied it quite a bit. His take was this: .... he says it is most likely my new tires.
'Scuse my French, but I call "bullpucky" on that. Brand new tires causing the problem? I seriously doubt it. At the risk of repeating myself, I would strongly recommending having the car aligned at a MERCEDES DEALERSHIP, nowhere else. Request the before & after printout which will look like this - you want "all green" for the "after" section.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BodhiBenz1987 View Post
So, to sum up, I'm guessing some of it was in my head and some of it is in my tires.
I'll bet it's neither, and that there is something fishy with the alignment; specifically front or rear toe (or both). $100 for a dealer alignment is way cheaper than ~$500 for new tires that you most likely don't need. The black 300D that I sold recently also didn't feel right, it "wandered" slightly at speed (hard to describe). I had to constantly make small corrections at the steering wheel, and it was worse in windy weather. The dealer alignment cured the problem, but what was interesting was how little the car was out of spec... it was a tiny amount of toe, IIRC. I'll see if I can scan that printout and upload it so you can see for yourself.

1997 E420 - 155kmi (Bugeyes)
1994 E420 - 145kmi (Blondie)
1993 500E - 193kmi (Lollipop)
1992 400E - 189kmi (Stinky Dirty)
Check out my website photos, documents, and movies!