View Single Post
Old 02-27-2011, 09:42 PM
https://fintail.org

Quote:
Originally Posted by kerry View Post
There's something very odd going on there. If you've got no blowby coming out of the valve cover, the hole is either plugged hence explaining the leaking seals, or the engine is in very good condition. If you don't have any blowby coming out the valve cover then the hypothesis about stuck rings is also probably not true. Are you sure there's no oil going from the vacuum pump vent line over into the intake? You're symptoms are very similar to another case posted on here about a month ago on a similar engine.
Are your glowplugs functioning?
I don't think the valve cover hole is blocked since I can see through it.

I took off the line that went from the vacuum pump to the intake manifold and while the engine was running I saw nothing coming out of the line. Smoke was still coming out of the exhaust.

The glow plugs were tested to be working a few months ago when I changed them to fast-glow. It was smoking well before I changed the plugs, too.

The engine starts up fine in subfreezing weather and has lots of power. It just smokes like crazy when cold and leaks oil everywhere.

In an effort to fix the smoking, the injectors were rebuilt with Monark nozzles (by a specialized Mercedes injection shop), the injection pump was sent to that same shop, diaphragm replaced, some new parts, was calibrated on a test stand, injection pump was installed and drip-timed to exactly 26 degrees BTDC (as in the factory service manual), valves were adjusted to specs, and the air cleaner oil was replaced and filled to the proper level.

I'm at a loss. The cam has to be off one tooth, though. When the cam marks are lined up I don't think the pointer on the crank pulley should read 6 degrees BTDC? Maybe the chain was stretched so they moved it one tooth to compensate for it?

DON'T MESS WITH MY MERCEDES!

1967 W110 Universal Wagon, Euro, Turbo Diesel, Tail Fins, 4 Speed Manual Column Shift, A/C
1980 W116 300SD Turbo Diesel, DB479 Walnut Brown, Sunroof, Highly Optioned, 350,000+ Miles