View Single Post
Old 02-28-2011, 02:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr_SJH View Post
I bought a '90 300D 2.5L turbo this past summer. I use to own an '81 300D N/A so it interesting to compare the w123 to the w124.

When the guy sold it to me he said, "You can take a couple gallons of clean vegetable oil, pour it in the tank and drive away. You can't do that with a 123."

Is there any truth to what he said? Is there some reason that the later 5 cylinder can better combust WVO?

Hoping to learn something!
There are quite a few that run on 100% VO single tank (no VO system) on a W123 diesel in warm weather and get away with it for a while. How long? I have no idea since I have no personal experience. I would like to try it IF I have an engine that is disposable but I do not have one at the moment. The W124 diesel's have a similar injection pump as the W123, which has one of the toughest pump for WVO since it is lubricated by engine oil, which helps to heat the VO in the IP. How different are the injectors and pre-combustion chambers in W123 & W124? On the W123, the injector spray pattern is very narrow and sprays at the hot ball in the pre-combustion chamber and that helps to burn the VO. That may be a reason (I have no prove, however) that it works so well with VO. Does the W124 have a similar pre-combustion chambers?