View Single Post
Old 03-05-2011, 04:47 AM

I am going to replace the whole wire set (even If I could just replace one boot), just to rule that out, and also install a new set of sparkplugs. (New BOSCH #09146 and a set of H9DC0 sparkplugs - sparkplugs I have been using all these years).

I may not check the distributor cap just yet (mainly because I will be replacing the wireset away from home and dealer (since that process will take me at least 1 or 2 hours).

I figure once I replace wireset/new plugs, I can see how the car runs, and proceed to check the distributor cap/rotor if it still runs rough.

My issue right now is the car has trouble starting (need to press gas as soon as it starts otherwise it dies) but once its warm, it starts just fine. There are days when the car starts and if I am not quick to press gas, or press too much car dies and then it wont start at all, but the next day car usually starts - (cold weather may also be playing a part) --

Note: Most days I hardly drive the car, so now I am trying to warm up the car everyday regardless of me needing to drive it or not - and so far so good - Tue it didnt start, but wed/thu/fri it did.)

Backtracking for some historical info...
On Dec 24 night, I ran almost out of gas (I think this added to the trouble), and in the past two weeks or so I added some seafoam to the gas tank (about 75% of can to 3/4 of a gas tank). Still on that tank. Tomorrow's trip to my family place should give it some sustain 55-60mph drive.. a chance for the seafoam / gas tank to run its remainder got 1/4 of tank left. Banking on this too to help.

RE: dist cap
Right now, I am afraid to remove the distributor cap since I will be doing the work away from the dealer - figured once the cables are replaced.. if car still runs rough, has trouble starting.. then I can check the dist cap at home, (will probably not take as long to remove the wires at that end.. and remove the cap to check it (I could probably get away with doing that in my apt parking spot).

How do you remove the black plastic cover? I am looking at 15-3010, I guess the black plastic cover is called the screening cap. I see two top allen screws.. but do not know where the bottom screw located at?

Is the screening cap and distributor cap held by the same three screws? (I guess so).

Does anybody know the size of the three external (screening cap) socket screws? and the size of the ones that hold the rotor?

Do you suggest I buy the follower (Is this the part where the rotor attaches to)? is the follower also attached by a screw to the camshaft?

Also, the sealing washer and o-ring.. does that go bad, should I also purchase those?

Since I have not replaced / removed the dist cap, I am afraid I may pull it apart and maybe something will break (maybe I just worry too much) but just want to be as safe as possible (If I do proceed with this).

Overall, the goal here is that the car needs to be smog, but if the car starts /runs better without touching the dist cap, then I would just leave as is for the time being.

In general I do not drive the car much, maybe 3-4k this last year, mainly short trips to the grocery store and a few longer trips to the next town maybe once a month. Car has been mostly parked.. which I figure may actually not be helping it.

Last edited by think300E; 03-05-2011 at 05:02 AM.