View Single Post
Old 03-05-2011, 08:25 PM
Loose Cannon - No Balls

Shouldn't be too terrible a job in the 124, provided your crank isn't damaged.

The fan, belt, and shroud will need to come off at a minimum. You will want to have a new key on hand for the crank, and a new front seal is a good idea also.

The fromt of the car should be a good foot off of the ground for breaker-bar clearance.

Tightening torque for this bolt is 340nm IIRC, so if you're fairly strong and have a way to lock the crank (there's a crank locking tool, check the DIY forum / tool rental program and someone might have one) it can be done without an impact. For a reference, when torquing mine on an engine stand, I lifted the front half of the engine and stand off of the ground.

Also, the balance is not pressed onto the shaft / not tapered, I have been able to remove the last two by hand after the bolt is out by rotating it back/forth against the key (a fraction of a degree) as I pull it off. A couple of large screwdrivers or prybars to pull it off evenly might also work, but if it spun on the crank and seized or scored the crank it might need a bit more to pull it.

Gone to the dark side

- Jeff

Last edited by babymog; 03-05-2011 at 10:38 PM.