View Single Post
Old 09-17-2002, 07:58 PM

Jassper:

In order of importance: The "grooved things" on the IP are the pressure valve holders. They don't adjust anything (there are IPs that have external adjustments), but they do hold the one-way pressure retaining valve for the injectors. What is leaking (or was) is the o-ring at the outside of these -- seals the low pressure fuel chamber in the IP. You can take these out to replace the o-ring, but you will need new copper seals and must tighten them correctly. They are locked with the rings so they won't vibrate free.

I still think the 2.5 turbo is electronically controlled, so there should be an idle speed controller somewhere -- the 603 (3.0L) turbo certainly is. You do have a turbo, don't you? It is possible it is not, but I would guess it is. You may have adjusted the maxumim fuel delivery instead! Who knows, I will ask.

I don't believe a rebuild for an IP for $200. That would barely cover gaskets and gasket replacement, certainly no test bench time or adjustments beyond minimal fuel delivery testing. Unless you don't have a electronic pump, but that is still VERY cheap!

Your cutoff lever should stay down until the key is turned back on. You need to check for leaks, can be in the hoses, rubber connectors, or in the shutoff solenoid. Fairly easy to replace (you can do it without removing the intake manifold on the turbo version).

I would T the vac supply for the headlights in at the main accesory T at the front of the engine at the vac pump -- it won't hold vac with the engine off, but will also not screw up the rest of the vac system.

You will need to lift the engine to change mounts and engine shock(s). If the old mounts are bad, it is sitting pretty low now.

Peter
1985 Volvo 740 GLE Turobodiesel 218,000
1972 280 SE 4.5 165, 000 - It runs!