View Single Post
Old 03-10-2011, 10:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr_SJH View Post
How about:

1. Supply and Demand

2. Political instability in the Middle East.

3. Failure to allow the market to function unimpeded?

4. Inane NIMBY & aesthetic concerns limiting exploration and development.

5. China and to a lesser extent India drastically increasing usage.

Perhaps none of these, perhaps some, perhaps other issues, but there is much more going on than just "bad" people causing this.
Yeah Doc,
That's why I said "in part".

1.Supply and Demand-
More scrupulously monitored and accounted for than narcotics at Mayo…

2.Political instability in the Middle East.
Undeniably occurring, but has production actually dropped? I haven’t read or heard anything- Have you? It does however make a wonderfully plausible excuse to jack up prices. I’m honestly not trying to be rude when I ask this, but has it slipped your mind perhaps- that less than a year ago we were paying under $2 a gal? On a road trip last weekend I had to pay $4.59 a gal. That is market manipulation, and little else

3.Failure to allow the market to function unimpeded?
LOL! Doc, This one is a joke, right? You are pulling my leg, right? If the market was allowed to function unimpeded, we would all be paying $16 a gallon!

4.Inane NIMBY & aesthetic concerns limiting exploration and development.
Deepwater Horizon.. Ring any bells? The concerns are more about safety to most people. Although I grant you the fact that kneejerk NIMBYism is all too common. As far as aesthetics go, well, would you believe that there are actually people out in the world that think that old M-B’s are ugly?!? Sheesh!

5.China and to a lesser extent India drastically increasing usage.
I think I recall reading that those guys get most of their oil from Russia, don’t they?