View Single Post
Old 03-22-2011, 11:35 AM

The guide pin is on the left (Driver's side) the right side guide rail floats to take up tension as the timing chain stretches and the rails wear. It does have a guild rail pin similiar to the one on the left it is located at the bottom of the rail in the lower timing chain cover and does not need to be removed for this service. The tensioner is on the right (pass side). Not removing the tensioner when servicing the upper timing chain cover can cause premature failure of the timing chain or guide rails. When you removed the upper guide you run the risk of the tensioner further extending and putting excessive pressure on the chain/rails after reassembly. If your cams never moved you nothing to worry about, but if the exhaust cam rolled back the slack would be taken up in the chain and then when you forced the upper guide back in the chain would be over tightened. There really is no way of knowing if this happened until the guide rail cracks. For the price of the aluminum washer that you have to replace when you remoce the tensioner it's worth doing just to be safe.

-Jim
88' 924s - Guards Red Sold
98' Durango SLT - Silver
93' 740i Tripple Black Sold
95' 900s Conv - Red
96' XJ6 - Black - For Sale
95' 325i Convertible - Montreal Blue My Project Car

Last edited by Jim_P; 03-22-2011 at 11:55 AM.