View Single Post
Old 09-19-2002, 09:02 PM
Man In Black

Hi Guys,
Thanks a lot for the help, especially OmegaBenz who sent me a TON of information. I wasn't in the market to buy a car; however, I saw an add for a 300 E AMG 1986 and e-mailed the owner promptly. He was asking less than $5,000.00 for it! I had the money, and who could resist a black AMG 124!!! Anyway, when I went to see the car the other day, it turned out the car was VERY POORLY kept. the front lip on the spoiler was gone, every single body panel had a significant dent, crack in the paint, or severe discoloration. The interior was very poor--the wood was cracked and shipped. The Recaro sport seats were nice, but dirty and faded. The car had 106,XXX miles on it and looked twice as old as my 142,XXX 300e. The only modification to the engine was dual air intakes...right side and left side of the radiator. It had a stock I-6. It did have old-school AMG chrome rims with missing caps. The stereo fabrication was very nice--custom sub under the rear deck with custom fabricated speaker holders on each end...looked real nice.
I had my hopes up very high...but once I saw the car, I realized why the asking price was so low. Although the owner claims the car was bought in Germany in 1985 and sent to AMG where it was modified and became a show car for 2 years in Germany before being imported to the states. It was in fact a Euro model car. It still had the S / E switch, the headlight vacuum switch (w/o euro headlights though), a rear fog light, and a few other little things. It is a shame the car was abused like that

Thanks for all the help!

-Tony