View Single Post
Old 09-20-2002, 01:50 AM
Man In Black

I had our Euro 300sl (1986 M103) up to 145 according to the speedometer; however, according to my radar detector (built in GPS system gives speed reading) I was going 140-141. Got to love the straight stretches of the northern 101-highway cough cough, I meant up at Sear's Raceway
Although I must say the car didn't feel that stable. I cruise in the 300e at around 80 w/o any problems, and when I tried to hit top speed (wouldn't go past 130 ) it felt much more solid than the SL. The SL is much, MUCH quicker than the E class even though both have the same engine (103). The acceleration is so much better in the sl (even in "economy mode" compared to a first gear start in the 300e).

Quote:
(Disclaimer: I don't agree with going over the speed limit, and all the safety issues or legal issues with it...just thought it'd be fun to see how fast folks have gone...)
I agree with Steve. I just had a little too much fun when we first got the SL. As for cruising 80...it's usually with the flow of traffic in the far left lane.