View Single Post
Old 03-31-2011, 08:04 PM

Where the head and block checked for flatness? If one intake valve is open with the other one closed for the leakdown test either adjust the valve to close the other or pull the rocker.

Then do a new leakdown test. Even if you had a crack in the one cylinder in the head casting I would not expect a simular crack in the adjacent cylinder. Unless the crack is between cylinders in the head. The glove will expand if their is leakge between the adjacent cylinders with one intake valve open. If you move to the other cylinder for a leakdown test then the other cylinders intake valve may then be open. You can pretty well establish if this is the senario visually before disabling its valve .

If closing the other valve stops the glove expanding you are either leaking across the head gasket or a crack between cylinders in the head .If not stopping after disabling the valve in the other adjacent cylinder then the intake valves are not seating on those two cylinders in my opinion. The chances of cross leakage between those two cylinders and both intake valves either not seating or having cracks in the areas of both their seats are pretty much about the same odds as winning the lotto. Unfortunatly it is already fairly likely that leakage between the two cylinders is there. Testing is your answer.

It would take two cracks at least in my opinion otherwise. One between the cylinders. Most likely is the head gasket is not sealing well perhaps if not the valves or a crack between the cylinders.

Hope I got this right as I found it a mouthful. For what you describe with the glove simple air pressure applied may enable the test as well.. I would have to think this through though. The glove as a detection test was a good ideal.

It could be a combination problem but I doubt it. When I used to get my heads back from a shop. I would by habit put some very light oil around the valves with the head upside down and no cam installed if overhead cam of course. If the light oil went away on one I knew it was not seating. Machine shop work seems to have become sloppier with time.

Last edited by barry123400; 03-31-2011 at 08:27 PM.