View Single Post
Old 04-11-2011, 12:47 PM

The line failed because the bracket that holds the line is made of metal with a plastic insulation. the bracket is bolted to the engine with the oil pan bolt. when the plastic insulation fails... which is true for about 90% of cars now because of age. the metal bracket erodes a hole into the line.

The repair done above is a pretty good one for someone on a budget, as it will last, and its functional. Unless its leaking or your in the process of making a show car I don't see a problem with it... for example when I added a auxiliary transmission cooler to my car the kit plumbed in with rubber hose and hose clamps and lasted over 100k on my car. (only to be replaces with a manual transmission) The only issue may be that the line is not barbed for the rubber hose... so it may leak, but the double hose clamps should help.

If you do replace your line (I did when mine failed) I did not use the brackets to hold the line back on, instead I used the bracket as a place to zip tie the line to. This is one case where plastic is better then metal, you don't want the metal bracket to eat another hole in it. maybe source a plastic wire holder from the hardware store.

Good luck!