View Single Post
Old 04-12-2011, 08:14 PM

Where do you get European harmonic balancer dowel pins and center bolt for 1983 300D

I have a 1983 non turbo European/gray market 300D that my Dad bought 10 years ago and I inherited when he died in 2006.
It has all the "normal" 300D bugaboos and I have just replaced the ignition
switch and lock cylinder and am in the process of "bug hunting" the loss of
vaccuum in the door locks.
In any case AFTER replacing the ignition switch and windshield I was driving back from getting coffee and the power steering all of a sudden got hard and the alternator light came on and the water temp started going up.
I stopped and when she cooled down started her up again and looked under the hood and the crank pulley and balancer looked to be turning at about a third the speed of the motor. When I got belts loose, the crank pulley and balancer assembly were loose/spinning on the crankshaft.
I was able to get the pulleys off and the big crank bolt out and the balancer fell into my hand.
It appears that the balancer failed some time ago (maybe 10 years and a
week) and some very artful (if not effective though it did last ten years)
mods were made to put it back together.
I need a European harmonic balancer (the one I have is cracked in two places), the alignment pins (not there though the slots in the crank shaft look OK) and the center bolt (the one I have has been spot welded and has three thrust washers on it and appears to have a 30mm head) to put her majesty (Brunehilda by name and disposition) back together.
I have been told that the European harmonic balancer is completely different than the US version. Any advice as to where to get these parts would be greatly appreciated.
Attached Thumbnails
Where do you get European harmonic balancer dowel pins and center bolt for 1983 300D-2011-04-11_17-33-10_211oncar.jpg   Where do you get European harmonic balancer dowel pins and center bolt for 1983 300D-271crankshaft.jpg   Where do you get European harmonic balancer dowel pins and center bolt for 1983 300D-265centerbolt.jpg   Where do you get European harmonic balancer dowel pins and center bolt for 1983 300D-262balancer.jpg   Where do you get European harmonic balancer dowel pins and center bolt for 1983 300D-2011-04-11_19-15-59_525balancer.jpg