View Single Post
Old 09-23-2002, 01:25 PM

I'm not sure what the factory options were for 1972, but I'm pretty sure the chrome wheel well trim was never one. Mercedes have amazingly few options, probably because of the high initial price. The only option I can think of for my 1988 560SL is heated seats.

The approach I take with mine is a non-invasive one. If I have to drill holes, it's not going on. I won't put cupholders or speakers on my doors. I won't put any of the chrome around the wheel wells or on the door jambs. I also wouldn't cut holes in the rear shelf to install speakers, but I would build a new shelf with speakers in it and store the original shelf. I don't think my rear seat is a factory option, but it may have been a dealer option.

The previous owner installed door edge guards that are painted the same color as the body. They look natural and serve a vital purpose.

The "optional" things I have done are new stereo (who hasn't?), seat belt holders, soft top handles that stay. I've replaced the sealed beam headlights with H4 halogens. I've also installed a steering wheel cover, but that's just until I can find a suitable replacement steering wheel. I can remove every one of these without any trace. It's not that I plan to enter my car in shows, I just like the classic, original look.
1984 500SEC Anthracite Grey/Palomino