View Single Post
Old 09-23-2002, 04:27 PM

Temporary shut-off fix

I am in the process of trying to fix some little irritating problems I inherited on my new 1982 300D Turbo. I seem to have all the most common problems (just my luck).

(# 1 for the day) I have the ever common problem of the car not shutting off with the key. I have determined that I have no leaks in the vacuum (brown with blue stripe) from the injection pump to the key switch.

I have decided that until I find the reason it still won't shut off, I can unplug the vacuum hose from the key switch (brown with blue stripe), and extend that same vacuum hose with another piece of vacuum hose, and let it hang down from below the steering wheel, and now shut off the diesel by sucking on this line from the driver seat. Somewhat embarrassing if people are anywhere near. but at least I don't have to get out and open the hood every time I want to shut down the motor.

So, If I'm right, the solid brown vacuum line should hold vacuum as it enters the key switch and then with the key turned off, it should then transfer over and draw vacuum to the (brown with blue stripe) vacuum hose going to the injector pump, and in-turn shut off the motor?

If I have vacuum going into the switch from the solid brown vacuum line but it's not drawing vacuum on the "out" line (brown with blue stripe) to the injecter pump...The problem is in the switch .... Right? Or could it be that I don't have enough vacuum going into the switch? How much vacuum should there be there?

One clue. The key does not always want to turn on without some finessing (Like you would get with a duplicate key not cut just right) but will always turn off without effort.

One other question. Do the Shop tech's read from this forum, or do I need to post to their forum specifically?

Thanks for any help on this issue.

David Dodge
1982 300D Turbo