View Single Post
Old 04-19-2011, 01:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by robcarsonjr View Post
I was being light hearted with the "repeat comment"...sorry

Re "tension requirement"
Yea by keeping both ends of the chain (portions of the old and new) on the sprocket from the get go you don't have to worry about the tension. I started by using two zips on either side of the link I was removing to split the chain. Kind of works like the rail cap shown in Roy's links. Just keep adding one tie to the passenger side turn the crank a few links and cut the driver's side zip as it heads off the sprocket and on toward the timing gear...and repeat until both ends of the new chain are zip tied to the top of the sprocket...then drop in the new link and press it on.

Hope that makes sense...have more photos if it would help!
LOL, I repeat, not a problem...
Boy that sounds tedious .... I think I will make that rail cap tool because my visualization of the situation seems to need constant tension on the old end going out.... Several have said that there is not room for the chain to fall and wind up a tooth off... but the FSM ( and you know how I am about it ) says to keep constant tension on the chain... I was planning on using a pulley to the ceiling with a weight on it for that...
How long did it take using the zip ties...and how many did you use ?