View Single Post
Old 04-29-2011, 07:10 PM
Das Sturm Uberdoktor

Quote:
Originally Posted by leathermang View Post
Key phrase.
You do not need these tools and not all dealerships had them!!!! It's great if you do, buut not a requirement.

You will need the tool to pull and install the clutch. They sell them on E-Bay.

You will need a pair of snap ring pliers. You should also buy the full seal kit.

I pull the front hub off (4 bolts) and drive the seal out from the backside. This way, you do not risk scratching the shaft. While the hub is off, look at the internals and drain out any oil.

Lube the square 'O' ring and re-install the front hub. There are 2 types of front seals:

1. 1-Piece Lip Seal (like a front pump seal

2. Multi-Part Carbon Seal

Be sure to put back in what came out. All of the R4's I have been working on recently have had the lip seal. I have resealed about 10 so far this month for my buddies as the weather here is starting to warm up.

The seal kit will come with a seal protector.

Make the band tool from a junk R-4:

Take a cutter wheel in a die grinder or shop saw and cut through the band of an old compressor. Die grind notches in one end to clear the bolt bosses as required.

Tack weld the band together with a small strip of metal so that it will slip on and off the old compressor without only slight resistance.

Now, bend the locking tab up on your 'good' R-4 and place it on a large, metal coffee can in a press. Any Harbor Frieght hydraulic press will work.

Place your 'tool' on top your compressor band and lay a 2X4 block across the band. Press down until the 'good' sealing band falls off.

Inspect, install the (2) large lip seals, lubricate them with compressor oil and install in the reverse order of disassembly, using your 'tool' to reseat the band. bend the locking tab back into place.

Some leakage of oil (under pressure) wll take place for the first day or so of operation as the oil is worked out from between the band and the compressor body.

I will post some photos of my homemade tool if you like.

Hope this helps...Robert

1978 300SD 'Phil' - 1,315,853 Miles And Counting - 1, 317,885 as of 12/27/2012 - 1,333,000 as of 05/10/2013, 1,337,850 as of July 15, 2013, 1,339,000 as of August 13, 2013

100,000 miles since June 2005 Overhaul - Sold January 25th, 2014 After 1,344,246 Miles & 20 Years of Ownership