View Single Post
Old 05-01-2011, 02:23 AM

Thanks for the reply Sixto, I appreciate it.

The car is blowing the #7 fuse immediately upon engaging the A/C. I've done a pretty good amount of testing, and I think the compressor clutch is shorted out. The Klima relay is good, the push button unit is good, the blower fan and regulator are good. If I unplug the wires from the top of the compressor, the fuse doesn't blow (of course, the compressor doesn't engage either). The system is fully charged and was cooling fine before blowing the fuse one day in traffic...and each time I've replaced the fuse and tried again since.

I have another 10P15C which is no good but has a good clutch. I would prefer to swap clutches without taking the current compressor out of the car. I've read some posts by people who say they've done it. I can't figure out how they got the retaining nut off the clutch. Some said they used vice grips or a strap wrench to counterhold, but I don't see how. The clutch has no more than a millimeter and a half of exterior circumference width to grip onto, and it isn't even flush with the circumference of the pulley - no strap wrench I tried would counterhold on that. And I don't see anything to put vice grips on to counterhold. So I'm giving up on that strategy unless you or anyone else has some words of encouragement (and enlightenment)?

Also, do you know what the difference is between the 10P15C and the 10PA15C? Mine is a 10P15C...but like you said, the 10PA15C seems to be much easier to come by.

Thanks!

Willis