View Single Post
Old 05-03-2011, 11:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by clambake View Post
Since this engine is in the process of being cleaned out after it's melted rod bearings were replaced (it's been run perhaps a total of a half hour since the replacement), there are many small babbett particles in the pan oil. Could it be that there were enough particles to clog the filter and starve the top end, causing some lifters to flatten, with the result being this irregular firing and banging and perhaps the squeaking too?
Unfortunatly collapsed lifters do not squeek. The babitt on his rod bearings had melted. I was originally concerned about the state of the main bearings although his description sounds more like a rod bearing at this point.

I just hope he at least plastigauged the main bearings as well as the replacement rod bearings. The rod ends should have not distorted as he never spun a rod bearing. Unless they got very hot . We know they were pretty warm.

It does sound like the cheapest and most reliable course of action is something like the short block a member is offering. Do not totally discount the vaccum pump as it was without oil on the ramps for quite awhile perhaps. Not a likely senario but the engine can be fired with it off for a short time. You would save it from the old block anyways so it is not really additional work.

Sometimes in life things go our way and other times not. We do not like to be on the recieving end when they do not but someone has to be there.

I tried pushing the low oil pressure warning device application to all these older diesel engines as a lesser evil. My personal feelings have not changed since.

It unfortunatly takes events like this to show the advisability of incorporating one. I also hope I am wrong as it gives me no satisfaction to see a member going through an event like this.

Even if the oil filter plugged up with babitt particles it would go into the bypass mode I believe.