View Single Post
Old 05-03-2011, 03:18 PM
Chairman of my Benz

Quote:
Originally Posted by winmutt View Post
You are reporting the same thing that everyone else is. Mobil 1 + 2.88 rear diff == noisy diff.
This is my theory on this.

I have Mobil 1 in my 2.88 for about 35,000 miles. Quite and no noises what so ever. The difference that I did, which most people will not do with an axle change, is thoroughly clean out the inside of the differential. I was able to do this easily because I had the diff out.

I believe the detergents in Mobil 1 has great cleaning ability. It will loosen up any caked on debris/dirt/contaminants that a conventional gear oil will not be able to do. So when you change out gear oil and replace it with Mobil 1, it will start to attack the contaminant and suspend it in the oil. Since there is no filter to filter out the contaminants, it has nowhere to go but to continue to circulate around the gears and causing premature wear and the sound that you hear. And it doesn't take that long for that to happen.

Mobil 1 gear oil is a great gear oil and will allow for your gears and bearings last a long time. If you're going to use it, you'll have to take precautions and thoroughly clean out the inside of the differential before filling it to make sure no detrimental contaminants gets suspended in the oil.