View Single Post
Old 05-03-2011, 06:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steiner View Post
I will never sell my car! I used to push it around the parking lot with my friends before the we could drive, then learned to drive on it and have been driving it ever since. I've grown too close to it.

I'm not after a super car, I just wanted to give it some pep. There used to be a company that made turbos for this car when it came out. If I could get a hold of that, I'd be really happy. Here is the link:
http://superturbodiesel.com/std/attachment.php?aid=2512

The OM 616 engine is also used in India under another car manufacturer and comes with a turbo, but I've heard shipping the engine to the states is very costly. So I know options exist.

Also, what options for a 5 speed do I have if I keep my engine. This car revs pretty high/loud on the freeway and I was hoping the extra gear would quiet it down.
I am glad you would not ever sell your car. It is a classic in more ways than one...

There is no way to ' just give your car some pep '..... notice that I own one...

If you turbo charge your car without changing the pistons and the method they are cooled by ( oil cooled annular ring pistons and oil squirters pointed at the inside ) you will not be able to boost is any reasonable amount... or you will break something.... the turbo models have bigger bearing surfaces and things like that...

That turbo Indian model does exist...and one or our members has one... realistic cost options may not exist.. but you should check on that and report back to us... many dream of that option..

Now you are talking... a 5 speed is a reasonable option for your car... a change in drive shaft length and finding one for sale... is about all you will need to overcome...

First check the condition of your insulation under the hood and inside the car...that may help some on the noise...

Basically you are young wanting what all of us wanted at your age.... you own a classic well built and in great shape car made for middle age driving.

We are hoping you refrain from screwing up the classic features of your car until you age into an appreciation of the fine qualities which your car exhibits....

Sorry to talk to you as if I am 40 years older than you are.... but I am..LOL